Sometimes it's hard to tell whether your child's speech and language skills are developing appropriately. Please check out our comprehensive library of infomation sheets.
Chatter-boxes Speech Pathology Services
"where chatter matters"
Did you know that 1 in 7 Australians has a communication difficulty? Being able to communicate well forms the foundation for developing relationships, making friends, learning, problem solving and reading and writing.
Children who have difficulty communicating may:
- Have trouble following instructions
- Find it difficult to express their thoughts and ideas easily
- Use the wrong sounds when they are talking or may not be able to make sounds
- Have difficulty learning to read
- Have trouble spelling
- Have developmental, neurological or medical issues such as ASD, ADHD, Cerebral Palsy
- Have difficulty playing and making friends with other children
Chatter-boxes Speech Pathology was established here on the Sunshine Coast in 2002 and has provided high quality, evidence based care for children, adolescents and their families, community screening, kindy talks, home and kindy visits and mentoring to other professionals in that time.
Chatter-boxes Speech Pathology Services was a finalist in the 2018 Australian Paediatric Allied Health Clinic of the Year and the Australian Speech Pathology Clinic of the Year. In 2006, our Director, Kylie, was named the Young Business Woman of the Year.
We are a values-based clinic and strive with personal and corporate consistency to “do things properly with love”. All activity, be it clinical, administrative or community based is done (measured) with excellence, integrity and the relationships it pertains to. It is our heart to not only inspire children and adolescents to reach for their potential through provision of fun and innovative services but also to encourage families to live well and connect with the local community to bring hope.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: How long will my child need speech therapy for?
Answer: As each child is an individual, it is hard to answer this question until the assessment has been completed. Most children require a minimum of six sessions. However depending on the disorder, its severity, the amount of homework you do and your child's motivation to learn, the number of sessions will vary.
Question: What does speech pathology involve?
Answer: The first thing that needs to be done is an assessment. An assessment specific to your child's needs will be chosen and administered during the first session. From there your therapist will discuss therapy goals with you and develop an individualized program for your child.
Question: Sometimes my child is shy and won't talk to new people. What happens then?
Answer: We have a wide range of interesting and irresistible toys we use in our sessions. While it may take some children 5 or 10minutes to "warm-up" we are usually able to entice them to talk and build a relationship with them by the end of the first session. Most kids don't want to go home.
Chatter-boxes Speech Pathology Services is a registered provider for the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
At Chatter-boxes we support participants and professionals in navigating their journey on the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
- Parent workshops to support client understanding of the NDIS
- NDIS Updates through our Chatter-boxes Newsletter
- Personalised 1:1 consultations to discuss the NDIS
- Preplanning Consultations with clients to support their application and preplanning conversations with the NDIS
- Preplanning Review Consultations
- Support for allied health professionals and paraprofessionals navigating the NDIS landscape
- Clinical Speech Pathology Assessments and Report Writing tailored to support participants in achieving their goals
- Individual and Group Therapy Sessions
- School based therapy for NDIS participants; Support for school administrators and teachers to maximise goal achievement for participants
- Parent workshops
- Support Co-ordination and Support Connection